Community Day at the Museum
October 28 @ 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
Join us on Saturday, October 28 for our annual Community Day at the Museum. Admission is free all day long, and visitors can enjoy the museum’s permanent exhibits, our current special exhibit I’ve Endured: Women in Old-Time Music, and a variety of family-friendly activities!
Activities will include:
- Singing, yodeling, and rope tricks with old-time and bluegrass musicans Cathy Fink and Marcy Marxer at 12:30 p.m. and 3:00 p.m. in the museum’s Performance Theater. Children (and the young-at-heart) can try their hand at rope tricks with Marcy in Cumberland Square Park following the performances.
- Instrument Petting Zoo with Bailey George and Jukebox Jess from 12:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. in the museum’s Learning Center, a chance to try out a variety of stringed and other instruments including the fiddle, banjo, guitar, mandolin, autoharp, spoons, and washboard!
- Spooky and Appalachian story time from 12:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m., a new book every half hour
- “Busking” from our friendly bluegrass jammers throughout the day
- Coloring and activity sheets to takeaway
Be sure to stop by the museum for a day of fun and engagement! And check out these other family-friendly activities happening downtown that day:
- Pumpkin Palooza, Downtown Center – 9:00 a.m. until supplies run out!
- State Street trick-or-treating – 10:00 a.m.–12:00 p.m. (you will find us handing out candy near 606 State Street, Bristol, TN)
About Cathy Fink & Marcy Marxer
Two-time Grammy winners Cathy Fink & Marcy Marxer are master musicians with a career spanning over 35 years. Their superb harmonies are backed by instrumental virtuosity on the guitar, five-string banjo, ukulele, mandolin, cello-banjo, and more. Their repertoire ranges from classic country to western swing, gypsy jazz to bluegrass, and old-time string band to contemporary folk (including some original gems).
CATHY & MARCY are trailblazers in children’s music and have been connecting families through music for over 30 years. Over 5,000 shows in performing arts centers, schools, folk festivals, community centers, libraries and children’s festivals have given Cathy & Marcy the superb skills to deliver a show that is fun, wacky, energetic, participatory, and meaningful.
About Bailey George & Jukebox Jess
Bailey George & Jukebox Jess are multitalented – as a musical duo, the opening act and the Master and Mistress of Ceremonies at the Boones Creek Opry, and preservers of vintage music memorabilia. Bailey is also the host of Radio Bristol’s Honky Tonk Hit Parade, one of our most popular shows. Frequent hosts of the museum’s Instrument Petting Zoo, they are sure to inspire kiddos to love music!